School Bullying Laws in Ohio
Legal protection against an underestimated threat to students
On March 30, 2007, Ohio passed a law prohibiting bullying in every public school district. This gave the weight of state law to efforts to curtail school bullying, and means that parents can sue a school for bullying if they believe a school has not taken sufficient action to protect their children from harassment.
Attorney Daniel M. Margolis proudly stands by the sides of bullying victims. He remains current and up to date on all laws and regulations implemented to prevent bullying in the State of Ohio. If you believe an Ohio school district is not taking sufficient steps to enforce state laws against school bullying, do not delay. Contact Margolis & Atzberger, LLC in Cleveland today.
How does the law define bullying?
Ohio state law considers bullying to be any intentional communication or act made by one student against another that:
- Causes any physical or mental harm to the other student
- Is persistent enough that it places the other student in an intimidating, threatening or abusive educational environment
Furthermore, cyber bullying laws in Ohio effectively extend legal protections to students being bullied over the Internet or mobile networks outside of school.
What are schools required to do to prevent bullying?
Every Ohio school district must maintain a policy that prohibits bullying, harassment and intimidation. Students, parents, school employees and community members must all be involved in the definition of the policy, which must include several key elements:
- Language prohibiting any student from being bullied on school property or at a school-sponsored event
- Language defining the physical and emotional elements of bullying
- Procedures and requirements that define how bullying is to be reported and who is required by law to report instances of bullying
- A procedure by which the school will respond to or investigate reported bullying
- Procedures to discipline students guilty of bullying
- Strategies to protect victims of bullying
If you think your school or school district has not met the requirements for protecting your child from bullying, you may want to consult with an attorney to explore your legal options.
A lawyer who knows the laws against school bullying
Bullying is a serious threat to students at every level of the education system. Dan Margolis understands education laws in Ohio and can fight to protect students from this often underestimated threat. He offers free initial consultations at any time. Contact Margolis & Atzberger, LLC online or at 216-348-1000 today. His office is conveniently located just a few blocks from the Cuyahoga County Justice Center in Cleveland.